Friday, December 12, 2008

Let it Snow!

In a rare event for south Louisiana, we had almost 4" of snow at our house on Thursday. It had been 20 years since we had this much snow in Baton Rouge. It was the first time that either of the kids have seen real snow fall from the sky. They saw some fake stuff the other night in Downtown Baton Rouge at the light festival, but that doesn't count. They loved it.
I woke up at 5:30 a.m. to get on the trainer for an hour of biking indoors, woo hoo...When I got up, we had snow flurries, but no accumulation. I woke up Melissa and we decided to wake up just Emilie so she could see it just in case flurries was all we got. I took her outside and she tried to catch some flakes in her mouth and got all excited.

Emmi and I in the flurries
They went back to bed and then I went in the garage and got on the trainer. 45 minutes was all I could take on the trainer, so at 6:30 I headed inside. When I walked in and looked at the backyard, all I could see was white. It was really snowing!! I got Melissa up, we got both the kids up and went outside to play.

The kids and I getting ready for the fun

Emmi's Snow Angel

Our snowman with M&M smile!

Melissa and the kids in the backyard

We made snow angels, snow castles with our sand castle toys, a snowman with an M&M smile and took pictures. After about an hour of that in the front yard, it was time to heat up and eat some breakfast. We cooked pancakes with M&M's cooked in, and made some hot chocolate. The kids loved there marshmallows in their hot chocolate.

We then went in the backyard for some fun. It was 4" of untouched powder. It was great. We rolled in it, hit each other with countless snowballs, made more snow angels and had an all around good time. After I finally went to work at lunch, the kids played for another hour or so in the afternoon. Most of the snow was gone by nightfall, but our snowman held on until this afternoon. He was still half there when I got home today, but some teenagers took care of the rest of him. Hopefully, it won't be another 20 years. I love the snow. Wish I would have had some skis. I could have skied down the 6' hill in our backyard...

No comments: