Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Training Sucks

Only on my second training "schedule" ever and it sucks. 16 weeks is way to long to train for a 10k and a quarter iron. Even if they are back to back. I'm ready to get to the freakin' races already. By "schedule" I mean the fact that I just took our Runner's World online schedule for 10k training and threw in two bike and swim sessions a week. A friend from Houston asked me about it today. Definitely has been run heavy. We are running 5 days a week now. With my 3 morning a week agreement with my wife, the kids hate when I'm not here in the a.m., it is tough to get it all in.

Therefore, my run and swim have been suffering. At least my run will be strong, for me at least.
My run has gone from about a 9:20/m 5k pace to somewhere around a 7:15-7:30/m 5k pace. Which is good since I have a 10k, quarter tri which is just over a 10k run and then a 5k that I have challenged my company on. After those, definitely going to cut down on the running and replace it with some more swimming and biking.

Got home Sunday night from the most recent 4 year olds birthday party and went to finish off my long run for the day. Made it about 2.5 miles before the icing hit rock bottom in my gut. Luckily, I was only about 0.7 from the house. Ran/walked to get back to take care of business. Decided I was not going back after that. Couldn't take it after the 45 mile ride and 2.5 mile run earlier in the day. Definitely a little mini overtraining moment. Decided to skip the Y the next morning also.

Went to the Y for a swim at lunch on Monday. Struggled through 2000 yds with my long set at 1200 yds. It was the swimsuit I know. My swimming/biking shorts have seen better days.

That is the front of my shorts, which you can clearly see through. Have worn them at the Y a couple of times in that shape. Have always made sure to hold my water bottle in front of me to and from the pool at 5:15 in the morning. Most people are too groggy to even pay attention that early, at least I hope. So Monday, I decided I could no longer wear them. Especially at lunch at the indoor pool. The entire Y would have seen the package at that point. Figured it wasn't the best idea. However, regular swim trunks feel like you are wearing a weight belt. My new Tri shorts will be in tomorrow though, so should be good to go for a couple of months.

Just buy some new shorts you say...Anyone who knows me, knows that I am so tight that I squeak when I walk. One pair of tri shorts is plenty and I am going to get all the life out of them. My last pair did the same thing except in the rear where I couldn't see it. One night I had them on at home and my wife says "You do know that I can see the hair on your butt cheeks through those shorts, don't you??" Well honey, actually I don't, but thanks for telling me now that I just finished a 5 mile run outside for the whole world to see. Hope nobody went blind...

Tuesday was 3 mile run at 9:15 pace, one hour interval/hill climb spin class, and then 1 mile at 8:00 pace. Training partners sold out, Big Poppa had sick kid issues in the middle of the night and The Hornet had final exams so she was a no show. Could workout in the morning since I missed Monday morning, but I believe I'll just swim at lunch. Won't be wearing my "see through" shorts, putting on the swim trunks one last time before the Tri shorts arrive.

No comments: